July 22, 2010

Tamarind Springs: Natural Setting Supports Spa's Therapeutic Potential


Based on my recent visit, I would suggest that the Classic Oil Massage (2,800 baht [US$85]) offered at Tamarind Springs is among the most effective oil massages available on the popular resort island of Koh Samui.


I can safely say that thanks to a combination of high-quality essential oils and the spa therapist's professional technique, I felt completely refreshed and relaxed at the end of the 90-minute massage. But what impressed me most was the spa's outstanding environment, which outshone any others I'd experienced previously.

A Commitment to Quality
The Classic Oil Massage follows a fairly standard procedure. Lying on my front, the spa therapist began with some rhythmic massaging, starting with my feet. The massage then continued along my legs and up my back, before the focus switched to my hands and arms.

After turning over on to my back, I underwent a similar process again, during which the spa therapist began by massaging my feet, legs and back, before bringing it to a close by gently easing the tension away from my head and shoulders.

As mentioned previously, this procedure is fairly 'regular', although I was particularly impressed with the essential oil used in this treatment as it was very light and didn't even leave a mark on my skin. This particular massage is also ideal for those who don't like to undergo too much stretching, since it's not included as part of this particular program.

I found myself feeling particularly relaxed when the spa therapist massaged my feet and forehead. This managed to make me feel as though all life's stresses and strains had simply faded away.

Forces of Nature
During the 90-minute-long massage, it occurred to me that it was not only the massage that had left me feeling refreshed and rejuvenated as the spa also benefits from a remarkable setting.


Rather than being whisked off to a spa room, at Tamarind Springs the treatment was carried out in an open-air pavilion on a hill. So right there in front of me were lush coconut groves stretching into a nearby valley. While there was a gentle soundtrack featuring classical music, I chose to listen more intently to the soothing sound of some birds singing nearby.

'Steam and Dream' Offer
An alternative to the Classic Oil Massage at Tamarind Springs is an unlimited steam and scrub deal called Steam and Dream (1,500 baht). The steam rooms at the spa differ from those found at rival spas since they were made by using granite outcrops, which are widely available in this locale.

Many spa outlets recommend that guests take a cold shower every 15 minutes or so if spending any length of time in a steam room. This can be achieved even more easily at Tamarind Springs since the spa has prepared its own pool in a forested area nearby. The water in the pool is kept fairly cool thanks to the use of granite.

The layout at Tamarind Spa ensures that guests feel like they are on a form of 'mini trek' when walking within the grounds. As I set off, I passed several small, wooden bridges that are used to connect each of the large sections of rock.


When it comes to peace and quiet, those in search of a calm and genteel environment will be glad to hear that the noise-driven gadgets that drive some folks crazy in the city, such as cameras and mobile phones, are not allowed at Tamarind Springs.

Tamarind Springs received an Award for Outstanding Performance for Health Tourism in 2008 from the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) while at AsiaSpa 2008, the company was given the award of Day Spa of the Year (for excellence) in 2008.

For further information, call Tel: +66 (0)7 723 0571.

Transport Connections:
Air: Bangkok Airways operates direct daily flights from Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi International Airport to Koh Samui. From the airport you can hire a local form of transport to take you directly to Tamarind Springs. Otherwise, you'll find the spa by taking the main ring road on the island and heading for the stretch of road that runs between Lamai and Chaweng. 


By:Tan network





No comments:

Post a Comment